Important Questions To Ask Your Physician If You Want To Be In A Clinical
Participating in a clinical trial can be a very rewarding
experience, both personally and altruistically.† But before entering a clinical
trial, there are several questions to ask your physician or the principal investigator
of the clinical trial:
- Am I a good candidate for this clinical trial?
- Will trial participation enhance my medical care in any specific way?
- Does participation in this trial give me access to medicine that is not
yet available to the general public?
- Is there a chance that I will be in the placebo group?† If I am in the
placebo group, will I have a chance to try the study medication after the
- How long is the trial?
- Where is the trial being conducted?
- What treatments will be used and how?
- What is the main purpose of the trial?
- How will patients' safety be monitored?
- What are the known risks (short-term side effects and longer term effects)
of this study medication?
- What are the possible benefits of the study medication?
- †Can I opt to remain on this treatment, even after termination of the trial?
- What are the alternative treatments besides the one being tested in the
- Who is sponsoring the trial?
- Do I have to pay for any part of the trial?
- What happens if I am harmed by the trial?
- Are there certain behaviors or activities I will have to avoid during the
trial (e.g. smoking, drinking, getting pregnant)?
- Are there certain behaviors (e.g. diet, exercise, contraception) that I
will have to practice during the trial?
- What are the risks if I were to get pregnant during this trial?
- How will my medical costs be handled during the trial?
- Will I be asked to take invasive medical tests that I would not otherwise
- What kind of time commitment will I be making per required visit by participating
in this trial?
- Will I be compensated for travel, childcare or other incidental expenses?
- How will this trial add to the body of medical knowledge in this field?
- Will the results of this trial potentially impact my own medical care?
- When do you anticipate the results of the clinical trial being available
to the medical community?
Click here for more information.
Created: 9/15/2001  - Donnica Moore, M.D.
All the content contained herein is copyrighted pursuant to federal law. Duplication or use without
the express written permission of DrDonnica.com subjects the violator to both civil & criminal penalties.
Copyright © 2006 DrDonnica.com. All rights reserved.
| Today on DrDonnica.com
| Meet Dr. Donnica
| TV Appearances
| Clinical Trials
Diseases & Conditions
| Celebrity Speak Out
| Guest Experts
| Women's Health Champions
| Womenís Health Resources
| Books & Tapes
| Site Certification
| Advanced Search
| Whatís New?
| Press Room
| Contact Us