Dr. Donnica to Address Chicago HealthFest Celebration
Illinois is the 23rd most obese state in the country, according to the 2006 report from Trust for America's Health. In an effort to improve this statistic and raise awareness about healthy lifestyles and disease prevention, Abbott is hosting Chicago HealthFest in Grant Park on Saturday, June 23, from noon to 4 p.m. In addition to performances by The Pointer Sisters and other entertainment, Dr. Donnica Moore and other health experts will give presentations on a variety of healthy lifestyle topics in the Health Forum tent.
"I encourage everyone to join us at Chicago HealthFest," stated Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) Commissioner Terry Mason, M.D. "This event is an excellent opportunity for all Chicago-area residents, young and old, to re-commit to healthier lifestyles."
Dr. Mason will provide opening remarks and Lou Manfredini will serve as guest emcee for the event. Host of WGN Radio's "Mr. Fix It" call-in show, TODAY contributor and USA Weekend columnist, Manfredini is a picture of a healthy lifestyle -- eating healthy foods and racing in triathlons in his spare time.
Additional Chicago HealthFest highlights include:
- Entertainment by The Pointer Sisters, Angel Melendez & the 911 Mambo
Orchestra, the Lane Tech High School Jazz Band, Jesse White Tumblers.
- Health professionals, including highly regarded women's health expert and
advocate Dr. Donnica Moore, will give 10-15 minute talks on a variety
of healthy lifestyle topics in the Health Forum tent.
- Devin Hester, Chicago Bears All-Pro return specialist and wide
receiver, will be on hand signing autographs from 2:15 to 3:15 p.m
- Free glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol and body mass index screenings provided by Walgreens are just some of the activities
planned. These tests are considered essential measures that can help
people understand more about their personal health and wellness.
- Samples of nutrition products including Glucerna(R) snack bars and
cereal for people living with diabetes, and NutriPals(TM) balanced
- Maria Montez, R.N., M.S.H.P., certified diabetes educator, will provide
diabetes and healthy lifestyle tips in both English and Spanish.
- A KidZone, featuring a Butterfly House with 1,000 butterflies in a
tented habitat, interactive story-telling, music from the Old Town
School of Folk Music and games.
- Popular and long-time children's entertainer Joel Frankel, joined by
his band The Tall Trees, will provide a healthy dose of fun-filled
- Joined by dogs from PAWS, a licensed veterinarian will share tips for
keeping your pets healthy.
- Concessions will be available from Whole Foods Market.
The event occurs the same weekend both the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and American Medical Association (AMA) -- two prominent physician organizations focused on improving public health -- visit Chicago to conduct their annual meetings.
"With the scientific and medical communities in Chicago to discuss improving the health of Americans, Abbott is encouraging Chicagoans to get more involved in their personal health and wellness by giving them an opportunity to assess their risk and better understand the conditions that can have a serious impact on their lives," said John Leonard, M.D., vice president, Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott. "Abbott hopes our community involvement will have a lasting impact that continually improves the health of Chicagoans and the people of Illinois in years to come."
Created: 6/19/2007  - Donnica Moore, M.D.